I'm back home. HOORAY! And I couldn't have had a better flight. As someone who has trouble sleeping on planes, and trouble keeping my cool on them in general, I can't explain why I was able to sleep the first two hours of my flight, but I'll take it. The fact that a Nic Cage movie was playing couldn't have hurt. Either way, the flight back home flew by. Ha ha ha. Get it? I'll be here all week. Try the veal. I also highly recommend making sure there are children present on any turbulent flight. As we made our descent into Washington, the once calm air began to reflect the precip around it; a typically scary dipty do was completely altered by the kids on the plane who thought we were on a roller coaster. "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" they yelped. It was fantastic. I remember saying a Hail Mary the last time that happened without any kids to ease the tension. I'll take the roller coaster instead.
My spring travel season is remarkably short this year; short to the point where I'm actually feeling a bit guilty around my staff. Some staff have 2 1/2 weeks straight on the road before they have a few days at home prior to the next trip. Me? Two weekend trips and tout finis. I be done.
I drove back from Dulles on the last fumes in my gas tank, made it to a gas station to fill up and, upon seeing the cost of that, talked myself into a Five Guys treat for dinner to ease the pain.
I had a little bit of trouble unlocking my car as I handled the greasy paper bag that held my dinner. It was already starting to rip. As I closed the door a shadow lurked by. I looked to my left to see a man standing outside my window. "May I ask you a question?" he queried.
He looked like a working class guy. Looked like he was wearing an auto mechanic jacket. In the split second it took for me to decide to roll down my window, I thought "This could end terribly wrong."
"I'm not a thief or a robber. I swear. I'm not going to hurt you. I've just had a really bad week and was hoping to get a burger."
"I got you. I got you. I understand." I reached for my wallet.
He could have opened my door then. He could have done something as I rolled down my window. Instead, I handed him two dollars and he walked away. He was clearly grateful.
The situation was completely benign. I was fine and he had no intention of hurting me. It just made me think about how innocent some situations must start out that perhaps do not end in the same manner. It also made me wonder if he thought about doing me harm at any time. Of course, this all just makes me realize how distrusting I've become, we've become, around strangers in need.
And I knew I was taking a risk. Knew I was taking a risk the minute I decided to roll down my window. But feared appearing heartless, cruel, racist, you name it.
I'm glad I was able to help the man. But it's funny how the simplest situation can leave you feeling vulnerable.
Maybe it will keep me away from Five Guys. My waistline will thank me for it. The cashier recognizes me, after all. "Nice to see you again!" he offered as I walked in. Now that I think about it, perhaps that's the real problem.
Monday, April 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment