Tuesday was a big day in my professional career. I was one of three featured "quotes" in an article in the USA Today. I was quoted about three times, and my name was in the opening sentence of the article.
I travel a lot for work, as you know, and the USA Today is a publication I've come to know as the McPaper. It's just kind of a silly newspaper. Short articles, big pictures and kinder, gentler fonts. Let's be realistic. Still, it was a big moment for me and I seemed to come off ok in representing my place of work and my field in general.
So what did it get me? Some great praise from family and friends, certainly. But what did it GET me?
My big moment of recognition came today when I received the following phone call:
"Yes, hello! This is Bill Blahdeblah from Blahdeeblah and Hill. Great feature in the USA Today! How did the event go for you?"
"Oh, thank you. It was fine. We're getting feedback from the staff on everyone's experience."
"Well that's just great. Hey, I wanted to call and introduce myself and my company to see if there's a fit."
Yep, a sales call.
It was kind of depressing, really. I expect nothing to come from this article, other than jokes about me an my pajamas from those who read it. But to have him play the "Wow look at you!" card in a sales call. It bummed me out.
Then I took a moment to think about what he does for work. Scanning the USA Today for potential clients to cold call offering a service that takes the personalization out of my work completely.
Ok. Maybe receiving the call wasn't so bad after all. MAKING the call was the depressing part.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment